I have never been compelled to find out the sex of my babies.
I can honestly say that I really and truly don’t care. Many of you out there are probably thinking yeah, that’s because you have one of each….. I hear it all the time. “do you know what you’re having?” I say no and the response is always “well it doesn’t matter does it, you have one of each”. One of each, four of one, it has never truly bothered me.
The reality comes when you go through the blood tests, the scans, the doctors checks and every time they say that something is working perfectly you breathe a sigh of relief. Not because it’s a boy and not because it’s a girl but because the heart is pumping perfectly, the bladder is working, it has all its fingers and toes, the brain is split into right and left beautifully and the list goes on. It is such a miracle to make a beautifully healthy baby or any baby for that matter, it really is and I thank God everyday.
I am all for finding out the sex if that’s what you want to do. For me it was a question as to if finding out would change my life. And the answer for me was, no, it wouldn’t.
I wasn’t going to buy a pink or blue pram, decorate the room in princesses or trains, the only thing I may have been compelled to do if I knew was get a few clothes in the appropriate colouring. White is my favourite!! That solved my problem. And really, they live in little white bonds singlets and maggot suits, and wraps for at least the first four weeks anyway. I’m just not a hyper organised person.
We did have heaps of fun guessing! There are plenty of old wives tales to guess the sex of the baby. Some of my favourites are:
– You are sicker with a girl than you are with a boy: Verdict: It was right for me but two of my closest girlfriend will absolutely detest. I remember popping in on one of my friends and the poor thing could not get her head out of the toilet to even say hi. We were sure it would be a girl, it was her third boy.
– Carrying high or low: Verdict: You can see the pics, what do you think?
– Is your weight in the bump or at the butt: Verdict: I don’t know, you tell me? I think I actually look pretty much the same for all of the pregnancies.
– The heart rate: A boy is said to be below 140bpm and girl above 140bpm. Verdict: So far all babies have been at about 133bpm on average.
– Cravings. Salty is a boy and sweet is a girl: Verdict: I don’t believe in pregnancy cravings. There are times when I wasn’t pregnant and would have given my left nipple for chocolate, so I think pregnant or not we all can really, really, really feel like something at some point. I just think that when we are pregnant we relax on our wants and indulge a little (or a lot) more.
– My favourite: The ring test: Attach your wedding ring to a strand of your hair, hold it over your tummy and if it swings in circles it’s a boy and back and forth is a girl. Verdict: This is the only one that has been right for me on both occasions. This time it says I’m having a boy…… we will see about that!
I would love to hear from you.
Did you find out the sex of your baby? Why and would you do it again?
Have you ever used and of the old wives tales and found them to be full proof for you and your friends?
Thanks for reading!!